Monday, January 2, 2017

Sticky Fun


You cant get the full gist of this thing from the pictures but I will do my best to describe it.  I went rugged this week.  While hiking in Mount Hood Nation Forest and while climbing Mount Tom, Dick and Harry (I'm a child and really love saying that) I found and awesome stick, branch or whatever you want to call it.  My knee was acting up and I was determined to  make the ascent and so I grabbed it and used it as a walking stick. To be honest is was so well worn I really think someone else did the same and I was just lucky enough to come across it.  So moving on.  Once I came down the mountain I decided to keep the stick and maybe one day make a it a real walking stick.  Well that day has come and gone already.


I wish I had a before photo of it but alas I only took one partly through the process and then of course at the end.  I knocked all the extended knots and broke off branches and then sanded it down with 150, 220 and the 400 grit.  I made this thing smoother than butter.  Afterward I stained with a Pecan Gold finish.  A light varnish that did not take too much away from the original color.  I put a copper cap on the bottom so it would not get worn. I had to hammer and glue it and then re-sand it a bit but it turned out real nice.  After that I took some 550 cord I had laying around and tied a nice handle to it.  I am actually very proud of this project.  All in all it cost me about $8 and some much needed mindless meditating time.  I will post the pictures below.

I got so excited with the end project I want to make more and I have already found the next stick in my front yard due to the landlords felling some trees in our backyard.  This one will take some more work and has to dry out but I think I may give a few of these away as gifts.  Maybe a new hobby to annoy Amber with?




































No comments:

Post a Comment